Sunday, July 26, 2009

Playlist of the Week



Here is the next playlist for the week! Tell me what you think of what I'm listening to this week.

1.Adele- Hometown Glory
Adele's amazing album 19 is a real treat. While Adele single, “Chasing Pavements” stands to be her most well known song, my favorite song from 19 is Hometown Glory. Adele voice is extremely unique and I’m really a big fan of the big movement to bring a more soulful sound to mainstream music (big ups to amazing artist like Alicia Keys, Duffy and Norah Jones for just that). The song itself is extremely beautiful, with a great piano rift and a fun insight into Adele’s mind and the pride she has for where she came from.

Watch the video Here

2.Amy Winehouse- He Can Only Hold Her
Speaking of soulful artist, Amy Winehouse’s album Back in Black is a magnificent album as well. While Winehouse’s personal life is messy, her album is tight, focused and just fun to listen to (I do think super producer Mark Ronson did help with that).In this great track, Amy’s smoky voice sings the blues, and you really feel what she’s saying.

Watch the video Here

3. Phoenix- Too Young
Phoenix is a less well known band but I hope that changes soon. Too Young is a fun song that makes me think of fun times with friends- and that's really the magic of music bringing up emotions and memories. There lies in the universal appeal of music. Take Too Young for just what it is, a delightful pop song.

Watch the video Here

4. Neko Case- Hold On
I heard this amazing song on VM ( I told you that show is a a goldmine of good songs) but that's not the important part. Neko Case is well known artist that really has a style of her own. Hold On is a great haunting song that I when I first heard, I couldn't stop listening to it.

Watch the video Here

5. Michael Jackson ft. Janet Jackson- Scream
I wanted to choose a song for this week that would honor MJ's amazing repertoire of songs so I chose his duet with Janet. Whenever I think of this song I think of the crazy futuristic video and Janet's crazy look. But, I give huge credit to Michael Jackson, I was never a big fan but his music was a unique combination of R&B Motown sensibility with a big pop makeover. Scream may not be his most well known but I recommend giving this song another one over.

Watch the awesome video Here

6. Starfucker- Cover of Cyndi Lauper's Girl's Just Wanna Have Fun
This is my pick for cover song of the week. I really have no idea who Starfucker is, but I caught this cover and I had to have it. Starfucker sound is very in line with indie-rockability and to have fun with Cyndi Lauper's girl anthem, I think it's just a interesting cover.



7. Keane- Nothing in My Way
Keane has an ear for melody. What's so amazing about this band is that there are no guitars! Insane- you listen to any of their songs and you don't even think about it or at least you don't miss it. Nothing in My Way is from their sophomore album Under the Iron Sea and it is a great representation of their music. Great piano driven melody and a great chorus that will get stuck in your head.

Watch the video Here

8. 16 Frames- Back Again
I found this song while looking for some new songs on iTunes. It's just a well written and well crafted song that I think we all can relate to. We all understand a relationship that has got off the track and our desire to bring this relationship back to the way it was. Whether it be about a romantic relationship or just even friendship, the want to bring things back to the way they were is something we all understand.

Watch the video Here

9. Santogold- L.E.S. Artistes
Santogold is another associate of super producer Mark Ronson (I'm a big fan of the guy if you haven't noticed). Santogold brings a type of hipster chick edge to music and was ushered as 2009's version of M.I.A. Santogold voice is super different from everything else out there and she definitely has an ear for music.

Watch the video Here

10. Kings of Leon- Sex on Fire
Kings of Leon exploded on the scene! What really draws me to them is the lead singer's unique voice and paired with great music. Kings of Leon comes off as an extremely intelligent band, assured and well versed in the direction that they want their music to take. Kings of Leon will be around for awhile and I can't wait to hear their next efforts.

Watch the video Here

No comments:

Post a Comment