Sunday, July 19, 2009

Music of Veronica Mars




So lately I've been getting tweets about the Veronica Mars movie, or at least fans' attempt to get a movie. I began to think about the show and one of my favorite aspects was the great music. There has been a recent phenomenon of really great and interesting music appearing on television, like Grey's Anatomy and as sad as I like to admit the O.C. So I thought I'd compile a list of songs used on Veronica Mars to celebrate great music from this awesome show. Don't forget to tweet #veronicamars to try and make it a trendy topic.

1.Embrace- Ashes
I made a playlist a few days ago and named one literally called EPIC. That's really what I consider this song. Used on the show at the pivotal moment that sets up the big mystery for season 2 it's a powerful song about inner strength and finding oneself. My favorite part of the song is easily at the end in which he sings, "I sink like a stone, I've lost my control."

Check out their myspace page Here


2.Ivy- Ocean City Girl
I do have to thank Veronica Mars for introducing me to some really great artists that I still follow to this day, Ivy is one of those bands. Extremely melodic, smooth and haunting, Ivy is one of my go to artist when I just want to chill out and listen to some good music. What's really fun about Ocean City Girl is it feels like it's written just for the titular character Veronica. If one knows the show and the story it all just fits in place. Great choice on the part of the music people on VM.

Check out Ivy's Myspace PageHere

3. The Dandy Warhols- We Used to be Friends
I think another strange pleasure of my mine is fast paced and fun songs that are actually not well... happy. (Ex. The Format's First Single). The Dandy Warhols are an awesome band that I recommend checking out. Their hit single We Used to be Friends served as the opening theme for the show and I actually think TV show's themes are really important. We Used to be Friends told you exactly what you were in store for, a hip, super intelligent quasi-noir show.

Check out the opening credits

4. Spoon- I Summon You
I put Spoon in the same category as The Shins and Modest Mouse- wonderfully weird. I thought about choosing their more famous song I Turn My Camera On but I thought I Summon You best represents this delightful weirdness.

Check out Spoon's Myspace Page Here

5. Stereophonics- Dakota
Another epic song- this track is actually included on the VM soundtrack (along with The Dandy Warhols and Ivy so I recommend getting this awesome CD )there is something really different about the singer's voice. An extremely reflective song, it's one of my favorites from the show.

Hear the track on Stereophonics' Myspace Page Here

6. The Stills- Still in Love Song
A classic song from the 90's I was super excited when VM used this song. I'm not sure I remember exactly when this song was used but I don't think it matters too much. Still in Love Song is quintessential 90's alternative and I think there is something really exciting about this song.

Watch them perform it live Here

7. Old 97- The New Kid
Okay another great song that really fit into the show. I don't want to ruin any episodes if you haven't seen the show but it does involve a new character's in Veronica's life that isn't all as what he seems. I think I really enjoy the self depreciating lyrics and the story that it weaves. It's an interesting song that plays a little bit differently than most songs.

Hear the New Kid on youtube Here


8. Tegan and Sara- I Know I Know I Know
Yet another amazing artist I learned through VM. There is something very stripped down about the twins, and about this extremely endearing song. I think what I really like about this song is it captures the sweetness of a faltering relationship and that relationships just fall a part- sometimes for no reason and that even when a relationship is over there is still love.

Check out Tegan and Sara's Myspace page Here

9. Cotton Mather- My Before and After/ Lily Dreams On
Cotton Mather also appeared in season 1 finale with "Lily Dreams On" but I thought I'd choose My Before and After- performed oddly enough by Paul Rudd (long story) but Cotton Mather exudes indie-type cool. Ha ha I also like the line "I'm reprogrammed like the guy in the Manchuarian Candidate." Also I recommend Lily Dreams On, there is something absolutely beautiful about that song.


Paul Rudd on VM performing My Before and After



10. Pete Yorn- Just Another
Whenever I think of this song I think of VM. Isn't that how you know you chose the right song? I think it's an awesome song that is used actually a couple times throughout the show during Veronica's flashbacks to a more simple times- and this song sums up a time of youth and innocents that's hard to describe.

Check out Pete Yorn's Myspace Page Here

11. Delays- Long time Coming
What to say about this song? I actually haven't heard too much from the Delays but I do love this song. There is something extremely uplifting about it , that I can't but describe. It's almost a sense of gratification- in a sense that this something that was a long time coming- finally just happened.

Check out the Long Time Coming on the Delay's Myspace page Here

12. Notwist- Pick up the Phone
Quiet and haunting- that's how Notwist's Pick up the Phone plays.There is something sad about this song, and whether it just be the slow music (I know I'm a sharp one :) ) but there it just something so melancholy about the this song. The song becomes even more memorable near the end, when the singer begins to sing " Pick up the Phone, and answer me at least" with a sense of defeated urgency I can't help but sympathize with.

Check out The Notwist Myspace Page Here

13. Mike Doughty- I Hear the Bells
Plain and simple this song always makes me smile. Mike Doughty is a great lyricist in the tradition of many singer song writers but this song is just golden. Mike Doughty celebrates the simple pleasures of life in this song, and he just sounds like he had fun doing it. I also think this song is great way to end the VM playlist.

Watch the music video Here

So that's it- my playlist of favorite songs from one of my favorite television shows Veronica Mars. The music from the show is just as interesting, intelligent, and moving as the show and I hope you not only check out these amazing songs and artists, but the show as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment