Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Playlist for the Week

Okay, so I'm a huge fan of music and here goes my first post! I think what I like to do is have a weekly post of my so called "playlist". So here goes my first weekly playlist- I hope you get check out these songs, tell me what you think and what you're listening to.

1. Matt and Kim- Daylight
I think what so special about music is sometimes the reason why we like a certain song isn't clearly tangible. I try to venture out of the top 40 scope and look for music that catches my ear. I've chosen the indie band Matt and Kim and their awesome song Daylight. I think what I really enjoy about the song is the driving piano in the back that just really completes the song. No one out there really sounds like Matt and Kim and I think there is something really unique about their music.

2. Klaxons- Cover of Blackstreet's No Diggity
I'm a huge fan of cover songs done right. No Diggity is one of my favorite songs growing up and to to hear a cover done by the Klaxon's is slightly silly, but it really it just works. There is something really interesting about turning hip-hop songs into pop songs- because really at the heart of music, it all comes from the same place. I definitely recommend this interesting cover.

3. The Ting Tings- We Walk
It took some time but the Ting Tings have really grown on me. I think We Walk is one of my favorites from their album- there is something really just cool about this duo. What I really enjoy about this song is the melody- the song just echoes cool.

4. Weekend Warriors- Take Me to LA
This song has been all over the place! I think there is just something very fun about the tone and lyrics of the song- don't we all wish to get away from our lives? Also the song invokes the images of beautiful sunny California- who doesn't love that?

5. Ben Lee- Cover of Float On By Modest Mouse
Another interesting cover that I really enjoyed. Ben Lee strips down the wonderfully odd Modest Mouse song about hope even during the worst of times. I do love the lyrics " We'll float on" because isn't that the truth? I wish I lived my life to that motto but it's something I'm working on. But Ben Lee also does a great job in bringing a certain sense of refinement to the song.

6. Belanova- Baila Mi Corazon
So I had to include the wacky pop song I'm listening to this week and of course it's in another language. But I think what I really enjoy about the song is the music- it's one of my secret loves electronica/pop. The music is really fun and while I speak not a lick of Spanish the song is super fun. This is definitely the future of pop music.

7. Garbage- Cherry Lips
Okay so this song is a little bit older but as I was making my weekly playlist I thought to myself I haven't heard this in awhile. This gem of a song is something completely different from the rest of the collection of Garbage songs. I think there is something really cool about this song, it makes for a great song to listen to in the car. Go baby go go.

8. Kanye West- Paranoid
I'm actually a big fan of Kanye's pop experiment album. Paranoid plays just like a song from the 80's but totally modernized by Kanye's magical touch. I'm not always the biggest fan of Kanye but everytime I hear this song I just want to get up and dance. Kanye West does have an amazing ear for melody.

9. Mat Kearney- Closer to Love
I love Mat Kearney's music. Closer to Love is the first single off his latest album. Kearney's music always has a effect on me, there is something really powerful about his lyrics. This songs always contain a story and while Kearney's draws to highlight a positive aspect of life by calling on the power of love, it also deals with great loss. There is something in a way moving and at the same time troubling with the line, "We're just one phone call away from our knees".

10. Little Jackie- The World Should Revolve Around Me
What to say about this song? I love the old Motown feel and the lyrics that really just cut to the chase- sometimes we feel maybe the world should revolve around us. Either way, this fun is all about having fun and I promise, you hear this once it will have you singing and laughing.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent insights! I would love some more links in future posts to the band sites or something to be able to hear more of the music since I am clearly way out of touch :)

    ReplyDelete