Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Artist Weekly Highlight



Along with weekly playlist I thought it would be fun highlight an artist for the week. For the first week, I chose the amazing Rilo Kiley, headed by indie-music darling and smoky voiced Jenny Lewis. Anyone that knows my taste in music knows that I love Rilo Kiley. I fell in love with Rilo Kiley during their amazing album "More Adventurous" in which the band strings together a beautiful collection of songs that all create a web of insightful, reflective, intelligent, and utterly devastating lyrics and melody. I don't what it is about this band, whether it be the country twang' of the music, the beautiful lyrics, or the charismatic Jenny Lewis, this band just works out. I've stated that I love music that can draw you in, create a story and make you want to be a part of the song. Rilo Kiley does just this, with lyrics that really grab you, and Lewis's voice- you can sense playfulness, childish innocents yet slightly jaded from being hurt by reality.

Rilo Kiley stands to be one of my favorite artist. With such amazing songs as the fun guilty pleasure of Lewis expressing the desire to start a relationship even though it's doomed (Portions for Foxes) in which she states, "Baby your bad news, but I don't care, I like you" to the painful, "Does He Love You" in which she sings about a deteriorating marriage. In the song, Lewis sings the story of a man who continues to write to her, telling her he wants to leave his wife and child, and the wife who didn't really want to get married- "she just felt her time was running out" but had soon learn to accept her life with him and their child. Other great songs include Execution of All Things, Dreamworld, Breakin' Up, Close Call and my personal favorite Sliver Lining. Watch the video for Sliver Lining!



Also, check out Lewis' solo work. My favorite is Rise up with Fists by Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins. Check it out if you like her work on Rilo Kiley.

No comments:

Post a Comment